Flat Rock, Michigan, is a small city within the Downriver area exterior Detroit.
For these in search of extra pure Michigan wilderness whereas nonetheless being shut sufficient to the large metropolis, that is the place for you.
The exact same out of doors advantages fueled Flat Rock to develop into a metropolis when Henry Ford needed to unfold the financial influence of his motor firm to the encircling Detroit areas.
The Huron River’s energy was harnessed right into a hydroelectric powerhouse, and among the first headlights of Ford automobiles had been made right here from the Nineteen Twenties till 1950.
As many roles because the plant delivered to Flat Rock, named for the ample limestone close by, the town managed to maintain that small-town attraction it holds to this present day.
It’s a metropolis of 10,000 individuals, but it surely’s nonetheless rising.
Flat Rock additionally presents a downtown part the place you’ll be able to eat, drink, and be merry whereas providing river actions and Metroparks east and west for out of doors adventures throughout all seasons.
You additionally produce other charming communities to go to close by, just like the island of Grosse Ile (to not be confused with the one in Quebec, Canada).
Warnings & Risks in Flat Rock
OVERALL RISK : LOW
Flat Rock has a low total threat, with decrease than common crime charges throughout the board, but an thrilling sufficient area to keep away from becoming bored.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Neither the Detroit public transportation system nor the suburban bus system makes it so far as Flat Rock, so you may be reliant on taxis or rideshares except you will have a rental automotive (which is strongly urged).
PICKPOCKETS RISK : LOW
That is one other low threat, with no pickpockets or purse snatching reported in 2021 and fewer than three reported in annually going again to 2017. You should not be lackadaisical together with your stuff, however you’ll be able to relaxation straightforward that it is not an imminent threat.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
A combined bag of harmful climate potential is available in all seasons. Winters are chilly and blustery, with blizzards and ice storms being pretty widespread. Spring fires up extreme thunderstorms and twister potential. Flooding can be a threat throughout heavy rain occasions, going as far as to dam off interstates round Flat Rock. Wayne County Emergency Administration’s web site presents full particulars of dangers and security precautions.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Simply two robberies had been reported in 2021, with a complete take of $2. That is one other low-risk, but it surely’s additionally specific to Flat Rock. Different Downriver communities may not be as secure. It is good to make use of security precautions for a worst-case state of affairs, not simply the place you are visiting.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
The danger in Flat Rock is low, and the one potential goal could be the dam. Nevertheless, the rattling can be almost a century previous, posing its wear-and-tear threat. For the larger image of terrorism dangers, learn the newest bulletin from the Nationwide Terrorism Advisory System.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
Even the social media pages for Flat Rock Police Division present only a few scams over the previous few years, however you’ll be able to’t be too cautious. Do not ever give out private data from somebody who contacts you unexpectedly, even when they declare to be a police officer. When doubtful, cling up and supply as a lot details about the rip-off to the police.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
That is one other low-risk and an amazing place to hunt some secure solitude. You may have to be outdoorsy and know wilderness and water security, however as lengthy you high that with widespread sense, there’s nothing to fret about right here.
TAP WATER RISK : LOW
The 2021 Water High quality Studies present no violations and full compliance with all state and federal requirements. There was a serious situation in 2021 when Ford by chance launched a harmful chemical into the Flat Rock water system, prompting evacuations. That situation has been cleared, however now we have a lot to debate about out of doors our bodies of water and chemical risks nonetheless to return.
Most secure Locations to Go to in Flat Rock
Historical past, hometown really feel, and the Huron River sum up the issues to do on this extra rural a part of Downriver.
Flat Rock Historic Society’s web site is a useful useful resource, and you may have a look at the Flat Rock part on the Pure Michigan and Go to Detroit web site, although they aren’t very sturdy.
Flat Rock Recreation and Flat Rock Riverfest are two different useful websites.
I discovered the Downtown Flat Rock web site to be probably the most useful.
A historic constructing assortment preserved by the Historic Society sits on “Reminiscence Lane” at Civic Heart Park.
This web site has 4 buildings, a museum, and a veterans memorial.
Occasions from ghost excursions to “Diggin’ Up Historical past” cemetery excursions are hosted all year long.
Don’t get your hopes up for the downtown space, because it’s not a kind of cobblestone streets and door-to-door enterprise Essential Streets, but it surely does have the quaint attraction with domestically owned companies providing genuine meals and gadgets.
Don’t miss the Blue Heron Buying and selling Firm, one of many high spots for a cup of espresso and a memento or particular reward for a liked one.
Cease by the Flat Rock Practice Depot Museum in your approach to our first park on the listing.
This small however mighty museum takes you thru the historical past of the railroad delivered to Flat Rock by Henry Ford himself.
Mannequin practice units circle the museum, and you may also get a have a look at the headlights that shined the best way for Flat Rock to develop into a metropolis.
Stroll over the Flat Rock Dam from Downtown utilizing the pedestrian bridge to go to Huroc Park.
This island park is surrounded by the river and presents a strolling path, playground, and nature viewing.
Oh, fishing may be very fashionable too.
Do you need to know the way fashionable?
I used to be utilizing Google Maps Road View to see totally different corners of the park, and one 360° view reveals a part of the park is flooded, and a person sporting waders is standing within the floodwaters fishing.
You possibly can’t (nor must you need to) swim on the park, and alcohol is banned.
You is perhaps overwhelmed with the opposite out of doors choices close to Flat Rock.
The Detroit space has Metroparks scattered all through the area, and there are (at the least) 4 close to Flat Rock.
- Oakwoods Metropark (5 miles): Huron River
- Lake Erie Metropark (6 miles): Lake Erie
- Willow Metropark (8 miles): Huron River
- Decrease Huron Metropark (11 miles): Huron River
You possibly can’t go improper with any park, however each has its personal facilities.
Some are extra wilderness-based, whereas one other presents a nature heart.
One has a golf course, whereas one other has a waterpark.
Metroparks.com is the place to evaluation all of your choices.
Flat Rock holds an annual Riverfest in September when the climate is good.
This family-friendly occasion has dwell bands, inflatables, and fireworks.
FlatRockRiverfest.com has all the small print for subsequent yr’s occasion.
Head south of the parks to go to the Flat Rock Speedway, with common races scheduled from spring by way of fall.
Automobile festivals and flea markets are additionally held all year long.
Locations to Keep away from in Flat Rock
You don’t have to fret about harmful neighborhoods in Flat Rock, however we advise at all times staying on predominant roads and interstates only for the utmost security.
The Ford Flat Rock Meeting Plant is within the industrial a part of the town and, as of this publication, just isn’t open for excursions.
Don’t attempt to get in since you gained’t be allowed.
Name to verify nearer to your go to to see if excursions have resumed.
You possibly can see loads of historical past and innovation surrounding the Ford model in Dearborn, which is half-hour north.
Earlier than you even consider touching the water of Lake Erie or the Huron River, go to the Michigan Division of Well being’s web site.
The waters listed below are recognized for being polluted and sometimes see advisories or warnings in regards to the micro organism, chemical compounds, or PFAS (the “without end chemical”) in them.
Every thing from NO CONTACT warnings to DO NOT EAT fish advisories are frequently issued, and it is best to know the dangers earlier than you go.
Earlier than you even consider heading to Lake St. Clair close to East Detroit, it has related points.
Security Ideas for Touring to Flat Rock
- Flat Rock does have its personal police division, however its web site isn’t very sturdy. It does listing all of the officers by e-mail and cellphone quantity if you wish to attain out and ask particular questions. The Fb Web page “Flat Rock Police Dept.” can be frequently up to date.
- The counties throughout Detroit use Crime Stoppers for nameless crime ideas. Obtain the P3 Cell App to be straight related and get all the nice sources just like the “Homicide, Thriller, and Mayhem” podcast or private security ideas.
- Use the Wayne County Emergency Administration web page to enroll in emergency alerts, as these will cowl your complete county and never simply the small city of Flat Rock. You possibly can’t threat being caught outside in a storm, and also you definitely must know if flood ranges are rising or if tornadoes are doable.
- It’s also possible to join Nixle alerts to get data in Flat Rock. Whether or not it’s a water predominant break or a snow emergency, this RSS feed presents real-time data as incidents occur. You’ll get data on the identical time the native information shops do.
- It should take 4 inches of snowfall all through Detroit and in Flat Rock earlier than any bats a watch. The four-inch mark triggers snow emergencies (aka avenue parking bans) and snow plow exercise. Don’t park on public or residential streets when the plows are out. You might get towed or broadsided by a snow plow.
- Overview the fishing license necessities and seasons by way of the Michigan Division of Pure Assets. Everybody over 15 will need to have a license issued by the state and carry it with them always. License for searching animals within the air or on the bottom can have some very strict necessities. You possibly can obtain the Michigan DNR Hunt Fish app to get all the data within the palm of your hand.
- Flat Rock is 13 miles south of the Detroit airport, however you gained’t have overwhelming airport noise right here. I verify the noise abatement map, and the closest metropolis impacted is Huron (5 miles northwest of Flat Rock).
- If you happen to plan to boat on the Detroit River (east facet of the area), know that the water accommodates a world boundary to Canada. Stick near the shore. You need to use a ship or kayak on the waters, even in case you cross the invisible boundary, however in case you drop anchor, you may get a go to from Border Patrol.
- The town of Flat Rock Fb web page is full of good data for guests, @flatrockmi. Particulars cowl native occasions, street emergencies, and climate inconveniences. It additionally shares many posts from different organizations in the neighborhood, supplying you with extra observe choices.
- Use the Mi Drive web site to verify site visitors delays and building zones earlier than you get on the street. The location covers each street within the state with interactive mapping and customized routes with alerts for these with an account.
So… How Protected Is Flat Rock Actually?
The Ford manufacturing facility is perhaps the one method you notice that you just’re close to Detroit while you go to Flat Rock.
It’s a small city with wilderness or rural areas on all sides.
Normally, small-town crime charges seem overly inflated because the math required to get to “crimes per 100,000 individuals” might be simply skewed in a single route or one other.
Flat Rock breaks that mould by having lower-than-average crime charges and detailed details about the crimes that occur.
No strangers had been victims of violent crime in 2021.
The town has seen simply three homicides since 2011.
Automobile break-in charges make up 35% of the thefts, however the uncooked quantity is 38 automotive break-ins or accent thefts.
The Ford plant has been a sufferer of extra stolen automobiles or vehicles than the town.
You would possibly see some panhandlers in Flat Rock; except they’re aggressive, police can’t do something about it.
Panhandling bans have been dominated unconstitutional.
The Supreme Court docket dominated that it’s an expression of free speech, protected beneath the primary modification.
That doesn’t imply you must tolerate offensive or scary habits.
You additionally mustn’t really feel obligated to offer them cash.
Serving to a neighborhood shelter might be cash higher spent.
If you happen to love the outside, Flat Rock is the place for you.
If you wish to have extra suburban facilities, take into account Southgate or Taylor.
Even Dearborn is taken into account Downriver, however then you definitely get a complete new batch of security issues.
How Does Flat Rock Examine?
- Visas – A passport and visa are required to cross the border or fly into America. You possibly can evaluation the foundations on the U.S. State Division web site after which have a look at the Customs and Border Patrol web site for specifics in regards to the Michigan/Canada border.
- Foreign money – The U.S. Greenback is the one foreign money accepted right here, and it is best to carry some money in case you’ll be spending most of your time in Flat Rock. Some companies are cash-only. Change foreign money earlier than you arrive for one of the best charges or deal with it on the airport while you arrive. Flat Rock will not be a very good possibility for locating a foreign money trade financial institution or enterprise.
- Climate – Pack hunter orange and camouflage, relying on what you propose to do outside right here, and do not forget winter equipment and waterproof boots. The exceptionally chilly winters do not cease individuals from going exterior. You may additionally need bug spray and long-sleeved clothes to keep away from mosquitos, ticks, and toxic crops. It is a humid location, so you may sweat quite a bit. Do not forget to maintain hydrated, and produce an insulated bottle to maintain your water chilly.
- Airports – You may get to the Wayne County Metropolitan Airport, the key Detroit airport, in 20 minutes by automotive. You will not have to fret about site visitors because it’s due north of rural Flat Rock.
- Journey Insurance coverage – Journey insurance coverage on your flight and out of doors adventures is advisable. You may want some sort of supplemental medical insurance in case of an damage, frostbite, or allergic response. Climate delays may cause backlogs of delayed or canceled flights.
Flat Rock Climate Averages (Temperatures)
Jan -3° C
Feb -2° C
Mar 3° C
Apr 10° C
Could 16° C
Jun 22° C
Jul 24° C
Aug 23° C
Sep 19° C
Oct 13° C
Nov 7° C
Dec 1° C
Common Excessive/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||Could||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|